I had to do a little research to understand just what it means to conduct action research. Action research is about posing questions, gathering data, reflecting, and deciding on a course of action. In the school setting, this research would involve issues identified in our own work environments. It is a chance to look at issues we've identified. Working on issues in our own school that we've identified is definitely a motivator. Another key component in action research is work group configurations. Educators can work on action research as individuals or as teams.
The thing that struck me about this approach to research was the idea that participants are not trying to find out what is wrong or finding a correct answer. Educators are looking for paths to support improvement. Action research is about how we can change instruction, improve knowledge, or improve strategies. It is done to inform and change practices to impact future performance. The knowledge is gained through action. It is like an experiment. Action research means participants are actively involved in the change process while conducting the research.
As I read about action research, I learned it is something I have been doing intuitively. In my administrative role, I am always asking questions, looking at our current practices, and considering ways of working differently to impact achievement in a positive way. It would be a goal of mine to incorporate action research strategies into my current initiatives.
No comments:
Post a Comment