Saturday, January 18, 2014

Self Assessment Rating Reflection/Jan. 2014

The intensity of the program we participated in over the past few months has paid off.  As you look over my second set of ratings for the 10 competencies, you can quickly note areas that changed in rating as they are highlighted in yellow.  I have been an administrator for most of my career.  I started as a building principal and have spent the past ten years working in central office.  This experience has provided a good foundation as I move into the next phase of service in the superintendency.
I would like to comment on those areas I have noted as strengths, competencies, and areas that need improvement.
Strengths:    It has been my experience that areas of strength for me present themselves through people skills.  I am comfortable working with groups to seek input and to develop programs to support student achievement.   I am confident in my ability to conduct interviews and select the most qualified applicant.  I have developed induction programs for both classified and certified staff.   I am a creative person.  I have effectively developed and presented information to help others.  I am interested in using technology and providing opportunities for others to utilize technology.  I am a problem-solver.  I advocate for students and staff.
Competencies:  I have a wide breadth of educational experiences. I have been a building level administrator, Director of Federal Programs, Public Relations Director, Special Education Director, and Director of Curriculum and Instruction.  Working in each of these areas has given me a general level of competency.  I have a great network of professional colleagues.  I always strive to make connections in order to learn from others.  Over the course of my studies in the superintendent program, I have grown substantially in Competency 9.  I believe I have a better understanding of procedures and regulations surrounding physical plants and school construction. Competency 4 has also been an area of growth.  I have gained insight and learned strategies to work effectively within political structures.  Understanding the politics of education was a very weak area for me.  This course has provided information and helped provide a resource network to assist in navigating through the political landscape.  My previous job responsibilities did not include extensive work with school boards.  Through the coursework and the internship activities, I have been able to add such experiences.

Improvements Needed:  Areas of concern revolve around budgeting, projections, and resource management.  I feel a great deal more confident but still believe I have a lot to learn.  The toughest course in the program, for me, was the finance course.  There is so much to learn.   It is certain that the application of our learning has to take place “on the job”.   When looking for a job as superintendent, it will be to my advantage to find strong leadership existing in the business department.  One thing I have learned in leadership is to surround yourself with competent people and let them do their job. 

No comments:

Post a Comment