Saturday, September 28, 2013

Part 1 Summary Reflection

Summary Reflection:
I am not familiar with a code of ethics for Indiana educators.  So this week’s reading was especially interesting to me.  As I read through the documents, I found them very useful tools to clearly communicate the responsibilities of educators to uphold a specific code of ethics.  I am sorry to say that I have seen the results of leadership styles that do not adhere to such ideals.  It is not pleasant and not readily resolved.
The clear communication of ethical standards and the training of all staff is crucial.   This communication should include protocols and procedures.  The checks and balances we develop to monitor employee actions can go a long way to prevent abuse of school policies and procedures.   Without such guiding structures, policies and procedures can be executed in any number of ways.  Many of which, will fall short of good practice. 
It makes no difference that such a code is not apparent in Indiana, it is an ideal that should not have to required. Obeying laws, demonstrating integrity, and exemplifying honesty and good moral character must be a given.  It is not an option to behave in an ethical manner toward students, colleagues, parents, and members of the community; it is a responsibility.  Failure to do so, will have devastating consequences for the school, community, and the individual.

No comments:

Post a Comment