Saturday, September 7, 2013

Finance: TEA Budget Guidelines

I liked the format of the TEA Budgeting Guidelines document.  I found it easy to navigate.  One of the first things I learned from reading this document was the very simple premise that the budget is a product of planning.  Planning involves identifying needs and then trying to match needs to resources.  This explanation brought me back to one of our tasks this week, defining a goal driven budget.  This document helped me put the whole budget puzzle together.  In other works, over the course of this week, we were looking at various pieces of the budget planning process.  In reading this document, I began to see how it all fit together to result in a viable product. 
I also learned about the various types of budgeting.  In Indiana, I think we use line item budgeting.  I worked as Federal Programs Director for several years. In that position, I worked with program budgets and allocations.  It was definitely a line item system.  It was very interesting to learn that there were other budgetary approaches. 
Since this new information has been revealed to me, I wonder if Indiana has a choice in selecting a budgetary approach or if that approach is dictated.  This will require additional investigation.
From reading the document it became clear that there are layers upon layers of tasks to be accomplished in preparing a budget.  I especially appreciated the explanations of the various revenue streams.  For example, Tier I and Tier II sections explained the purpose and ingredients for calculation.  Indiana does not describe funds available in these areas in the same way but it is similar.  Each district in Indiana receives tuition support for students that fall into the categories described in these tiers.   Texas calls this a weighted average daily attendance.  Indiana includes it in a membership count on specific days throughout the school year. 
According to my superintendent, Indiana does not include property taxes.  I learned from reading the guidelines that Texas does.
The number of sections in the document that were devoted to estimations, projections and forecasts was substantial.  It really underscores the amount of preparation that is needed to prepare a budget.   The superintendent needs access to accurate data in a timely fashion to be able to make projections for the budget. 
How will I use the information obtained from this document in contributing to the development of a district budget?  
It has helped me realize that budget preparation is about asking the right questions and getting accurate answers to these questions.   The budget is identifying needs and then managing resources to support those needs.  Being armed with accurate information on past actions, budgets, and information is useful in developing future plans.  Enlisting the input and assistance of various stakeholders is also key to the development of a viable district budget.  I also appreciated the charts, sample letters, and definitions provided in this document.  I would use them in the budget development process.

I think it is also important to seek out training and to utilize the resources provided by your state to ensure you are following all the requirements to remain compliant with the law. 

No comments:

Post a Comment