This has been a most
challenging course. As I worked through
my self assessment, the area of finance seemed to hold the most areas I felt I
needed to improve. So I entered this
course ready to dig in! I was amazed at
the number of resources available online to assist a new superintendent. A document that I found most helpful was the
Texas Education Agency’s School Finance 101:
Funding of the Texas Public Schools.
This document walked me through the many layers of funding issues that
exist in Texas . It provided detailed explanations and
definitions. This was especially helpful
to me in sorting out the similarities and differences between Texas
and Indiana . The structures may be completely different
but many of the components are present in both states. The lectures each week helped set the stage
for the learning that would take place over the course of the week.
I enjoyed the opportunities to
talk with our district level personnel.
I was able to spend time with our superintendent and business
manager. I learned so many things about
our accounting practices and audit procedures.
I learned about the specific policies and protocols at work in our
district. These conversations helped me
bridge the gap between Indiana finances and Texas finances.
In week four, I was able
finally make connection with my wiki group partners. Since we were not able to connect until we
were well into the course, I was forced to deal with assignments each week on
my own. It was unfortunate and a lot a
work! It really made a difference to
have others to collaborate with on the week’s assignments.
I participated in three of the
four webinars. This was a time I could
ask questions and connect with others in the course. I found them helpful. Dr. Holmes was very personable and took time
to try to connect with each person participating in the webinar. I tried to
take advantage of every opportunity to learn about finances.
Through
the lectures, readings, assignments, and collaborations, I find I have a better
understanding of financial structures. I
find I feel confident to mark each indicator in the self-assessment as
competent. It is remarkable the amount
of information that is conveyed through this course. During one of our webinars, a classmate asked
about tests, Dr. Holmes shared that we would not be taking exams. He also stated that we would probably wish we
did rather than take on the amount of work that was headed our way. He was right.
It was a rigorous course but well worth the effort. I appreciate the depth and breadth of
information shared.
No comments:
Post a Comment